Be aware that mold is essentially caused by moisture. Mold is a moisture problem. If you clean up the mold but don’t fix the dampness in the house, the mold will grow back later. Clean and dry standing water or water spots within 24 hours to prevent mold growth. Do you know that wall mountable ultraviolet air sterilizer removes mold?
Mold often appears in bathrooms (because of bathing equipment) and kitchens (because of sinks). Make sure to wipe off excess water from the sink and leave the bathroom window open after showering.
Seek professional assistance if mold growth exceeds 10 square feet (0.9 square meters). If you have a serious mold problem (over 10 square feet), it is best to ask a professional to remove and clean the mold for you. Professionals can use high-efficiency cleaning agents and perform proper protection to avoid inhalation of spores.
Consider discarding absorbent or penetrating materials. Absorbent or permeable materials, such as drywall or ceiling tiles, may need to be discarded if severely damaged by mold. Since mold can grow in the small cracks and holes in these materials, it may be difficult for you to completely remove mold there. In this case, cleaning will only temporarily inhibit mold growth, unless you completely remove the surface from the house. Then the mold will return.
Never paint or caulk in moldy areas. It’s like a Band-Aid, where there’s a problem, it’s filled, but it doesn’t work. Moldy surfaces such as walls, tiles, etc., will not last as long as they are painted or filled, because dirty surfaces won’t allow the paint or filler to stick.
Make sure you thoroughly clean and sanitize the mold before painting or caulking. Wipe off any excess moisture.. Then we wait a day or two to be sure to air dry before painting or caulking. Ultraviolet wall mounted sterilizer uses photocatalyst to kill mold.
Wear proper gear when cleaning. Because mold contains spores. That is airborne. So it is important to wear proper protective gear when cleaning up mold. In most cases, mold is harmless, but there are many types of mold. Some are dangerous to health in extreme cases. Make sure you are wearing:
N-95 type protective mask. You can buy them at major hardware stores across the country, and they’re pretty cheap.
Goggles to protect your eyes from contact with mold spores.